Home       Lodging       Eat & Drink       Recreation       Shopping       Info & History       Gas & Grocery       Services       Directory   
Info & History in Columbia







Showing Everything






Columbia
CHURCH OF THE 49ERS
Historic church, originally built in 1849 as the First Presbyterian Church. The original structure was destroyed by fire. The present structure is a replica, completed in 1854.
For a little more info: Church of the 49ers






Columbia
ANGELO'S HALL
A historic hall where various community events were held, including dances. Angelo's Hall was rennovated in 2008.






Columbia
ASSAY OFFICE
This tiny room includes a replica of a circa 1860 furnace for assaying gold and for heating it in a retort for purifying it and pouring it into a mold.
For a little more info: Assay Office
HOURS: Mon-Sun 10am-4pm.
OPEN NOW






Columbia
CALIFORNIA STORE
This exhibit is a replica of an 1850s general store, selling "provisions, miner's supplies, and dry goods."






Columbia
CHICKEN COOP
Chickens in a coop just like they were raised during the Gold Rush.






Columbia
CHINESE HERBAL SHOP
Exhibit shows a Chines herbal remedy shop as it looked in the 1850s.






Columbia
CLAVERIE BUILDING RUINS
Ruins of a building built in 1857 by three Frenchmen, including L. Claverie. The area was the French section of town. In 1869 it was sold to Sun Lun Sing and known as "The Old China Store". The area became a Chinese section, and adjacent to it in the mid 1870s was a Joss House and Chinese Theatre.






Columbia
COLUMBIA CEMETERY
The Columbia Cemetery is distinguised by the "In God We Trust" over its entrance. (Another cemetery, the Masonic, is nearby.) Many people important to Columbia history are buried here. Many headstones are marble, which was available locally at low cost.
For a little more info: Columbia Cemetery






Columbia
COLUMBIA DIGGINS'
Every year, this site comes alive for four days as a reenactment of what Columbia was probably like in 1852, with a town built primarily with tents, before wooden or stone buildings were built.






Columbia
COLUMBIA GAZETTE OFFICE
This building was the office of the Columbia Gazette, a newspaper published in the 1850s.






Columbia
DENTIST OFFICE
Exhibit shows a dental office as it looked in the late 1800s. Dental tools and instruments from various periods, from the 1850s to the 1890s.
For a little more info: Dentist Office






Columbia
DRUG STORE
Exhibit shows an 1850+ era drug store, with an extensive array of bottles, boxes, and drawers filled with pharmaceutical & herbal remedies. Also shown are historic tools for making, handling, and packaging pills and suppositories.
For a little more info: Drug Store






Columbia
EAGLE COTAGE
This structure was a miner's boarding house first built in 1854. It was destroyed by fire and rebuilt several times. The current building is a replica of the original built in 1961. It is now used for community meetings. (The archaic spelling is not a typo.)






Columbia
GOLD DISCOVERY SITE
On this site in March, 1850, Dr. Thadeus Hildreth, while camping for the night with his brother and a few other miners, found gold. As word of the discovery spread, a tent city sprang up that led to the founding of the town of Columbia.






Columbia
COLUMBIA JAIL
Circa 1860 jail, with two cells. Walk inside.
For a little more info: Columbia Jail
HOURS: Mon-Sun 10am-4pm.
OPEN NOW






Columbia
JUSTICE COURT
Exhibit shows the Columbia Justice Court courtroom as it appeared in the 1850s.
For a little more info: Justice Court
HOURS: Mon-Sun 10am-4pm. Open 1 hour later in summer.
OPEN NOW






Columbia
JOHNSON'S LIVERY
Exhibit shows a historic livery stable ("Horses bought, sold, & traded") with examples of horse-drawn carriages inside.
For a little more info: Johnson's Livery
HOURS: Mon-Sun 10am-4pm.
OPEN NOW






Columbia
MASONIC HALL
Exhibit shows a Masonic meeting room and various artifacts (e.g., a ceremonial trowel) associated with the Masons. The building was erected in 1855, razed, then restored in 1949.






Columbia
MINING EQUIPMENT EXHIBIT
Outdoor exhibit of mining machinery, including water wheels (to get energy for equipment), a stamping mill, and a "monitor" that concentrates water to produce high pressure for hydraulic mining.






Columbia
COLUMBIA MUSEUM
Exhibits under glass show photos and artifacts from early Columbia on various topics, including schools, women in the mines, banking, gambling, hard rock mining, gold panning, the Chinese, and Native Americans. Free 22 minute video of park shown in rear.
For a little more info: Columbia Museum
HOURS: Mon-Sun 10am-4pm.
OPEN NOW






Columbia
NATIVE SONS OF THE GOLDEN WEST MUSEUM
Exhibit shows photos, medals, plaques and other artifacts from this fraternal society that was important to life in the mid to late 1800s.






Columbia
PROSPER ROCHER BREWERY SITE
Plaque in front reads: In 1856 Prosper Rocher constructed Columbia's second brewery located one-half mile east of town on the north side of Yankee Hill Road. Rocher, a French physician, was first partners with Anton Bixel in the Columbia Brewery on Italian Bar Road. Rocher's brewery business failed and by 1861 the brick building was dismantled, leaving only the basement depression and stone foundation visible today. (E. Clampus Vitus, 1993)
For a little more info: Prosper Rocher Brewery site






Columbia
OLD COLUMBIA SCHOOL HOUSE
Historic school preserved as it was with old style desks, blackboards, and wood stoves. Enter via door at south end. Enter 2nd floor via stairway at north end. Picnic tables nearby.
For a little more info: Old Columbia School House






Columbia
HISTORICAL MARKER--TOWN OF SPRINGFIELD
Plaque reads: "Springfield received name from abundant springs gushing from limestone boulders. Town with its stores, shops and hotel, built around plaza. Once boasted 2,000 inhabitants. Believed founded by Donna Josefa Valmesada, Mexican woman of means with reputation for aiding Americans in War with Mexico. During heyday, 150 miners carts could be seen on road, hauling gold-bearing dirt to Springfield springs for washing."






Columbia
A. N. FISHER & CO. STAGE OFFICE
Walk in to see exhibit of 1850s stagecoach line office. Buy tickets here for stagecoach rides around Columbia. Fares: Child/Senior: inside $5, shotgun $8. Adult/teen: inside $6, shotgun $9. Stagecoaches run 7 days a week from Memorial Day to Labor Day from 10am-4pm Mon-Thurs and 10am-5pm Fri-Sun. In March, April, May, Sept & Oct stagecoaches run Fri Sat Sun 11am-4pm. In Jan, Feb, Nov & Dec stagecoaches run 11am-4pm on Sat & Sun only. (Weather permitting.)
For a little more info: A. N. Fisher & Co. Stage Office
HOURS: Mon-Sun 10am-4pm.
OPEN NOW






Columbia
ST. ANNE'S CHURCH
This historic church, built in 1856, was the first brick church built in California. The church is on Kennebec Hill and includes a cemetery.






Columbia
WELLS FARGO & CO'S EXPRESS
Exhibit shows a shipping office (wagon or statecoach) as it looked in the 1850s, with a safe, old desk, strongbox, and an elaborate scale for weighing gold.